by Debby Adams, guest contributor
The days are longer, a little warmer, and we’re all restless to finally get out and do something! And we’d really like to do something with friends – reconnect with old ones or get to know new ones better. If you’ve got spring fever and are looking for fresh ideas to share, here are some irresistible invitations:
- Walk or hike in local parks, and if allowed, bring your dogs along. Stop for coffee or tea after the walk.
- Bike on a rail trail, or through a quiet neighborhood. Don’t forget to wear your helmets!
- Visit a garden center to pick out plants for your garden, or take a class together. You can learn to make a wreath for your front door, or fill a planter for your patio or deck.
- Take your lunch outside. Most workplaces provide outdoor tables, or at least a bench to sit and enjoy the sunshine.
- Stroll a farmers’ market with a new co-worker, neighbor, or gym buddy, and you’ll both be inspired to eat healthy.
- Dust off those running shoes, golf clubs, or tennis rackets and enjoy the outside.
- Sign up for fundraising events – it’s always more fun with a teammate!
- Volunteer together to help with cleanups for parks, rivers, ponds, or lakes. You can also volunteer to monitor wildlife for groups like Audubon.
- And on the inevitable rainy days, take turns with a long-time friend by helping to clean out each other’s closets or redecorate rooms. Give each other permission to part with items you don’t love or wear anymore. Trade clothing or accessories where needed, and drop off any leftovers at a nearby charity before you reward yourself with a glass of wine and a lite nosh.
We’re all busy this time of year with home and garden chores and the usual family responsibilities, but we all need to make time to recharge with friends. Pick up your phone and invite someone to one activity this week – you’ll be glad you did!